Sunday 12 August 2012

Do your job and smile!


I've been fortunate enough to travel the world a bit, now i am not trying to show off and say i have been every where, i haven't, but i have been to France, New Zealand, Spain, Sri Lanka, Dominican republic and Inverness (I class this in the same league, almost) just this last week.

One thing i have noticed is the different level of service i have received from various companies and people, whether that be, Mcdonalds staff or banking staff to coffee shops (as a side point New Zealand came out on top for me).

My view is always the same, you are paid to do a job, the people i.e customers (me) expect a decent level of service and a smile, i don't want to feel guilty about coming in and asking for help, or to draw out MY money.

Something that prompted this rant today was during a visit to Bruar House, which is a totally amazing place by the way, you really should visit, it is a little over priced in the shop but the walk up the falls at the back is stunning, i will attach a few photos so you can see what i mean.

Yikes i cant wait
Anyway back to my rant, so during my visit to Bruar house, first things first quick toilet stop, well not that quick, four people waiting, god damn, then food, elbow fight to get anything, the queues for anything in this place are massive.

Now the majority of the staff are pretty good most of the time, they smile (good they are paid too), but the last twice i have been which happens to be in the last week, the same girl has been serving on the first till.

I am sure her name was something like Lucy but so as not to embarrass her if she ends up reading this we will call her, Stroppy cow, so her rather straight forward task is to pour you your instant coffee and then bill you for anything else that is on your tray, i am not sure if she is paid per customer, but this girl is like Usain Bolt of Bruar house, she serves, charges, she moves onto the next customer, now at this point i  am just lifting my fingers to hit the keypad with my 4 digit pin which is ....(dont think so).

Her face is like stone the whole time, i will be honest i reckon if you touched her face, she may just crumble before your very eyes, the chap she was serving in front of me, which in all fairness was a bit slow, kept getting the evil's from her, and "enter your pin now" barked at him, then " you waited to long, we will need to do that again, hmff", this went on three times before it was my turn for the ice queen.

I thought i will try a new tactic and win her over with my devilishly good looks, and witty charm, it was just a shame i forgot about the massive spot on the side of my nose, i am sure she noticed it because as soon as she finished, she had called for a cleaner to isle 3 for puss deposits (ok the last bit was artistic licence, but i do have devilishly good looks).

Now i was not wanting a full on coversation with girl, but i wouldnt of minded as she was a bit of a looker, but a smile would of been nice.
I paid £15.00 for a tuna sandwich, coffee, coke and bit of cake (boy was is good), surely my £15.00 entitled me to a smile at least, i was not asking for her number or a snog (but if it was on offer, i wouldn't of said no).

We all have hard lives, but the way i look at it is when you go to work you can leave it all at home, do your best earn your money and you know what, you might get to see me and my chiseled cheekbones over the other side of the counter.

Anyway as promised here are some photos from the Bruar house and the falls of Bruar, if you want more information on this place just drop me a message.





No comments:

Post a Comment